The Women's Club History

The Women's Club organization was founded in 1921. The Women’s Club owns the large house at 31 S. Prospect Street, Hagerstown, Md. The building, the Wroe house, was purchased in 1923 and an auditorium addition was built at that time. The membership officially moved into the renovated building in March of 1924. The building is on the National Historical Register. The first floor of the building is for the use of Club members and is available to the community for special events.

Over the years, the building has been used for meetings, plays, receptions, dinners and fundraising activities. Classes are held in exercise, dancing, gardening, mahjong and bridge. The Crossroads Garden Club is based here and maintains the adjacent period garden.

The Women’s Club, Inc. is dedicated to promoting the welfare and education of women. Activities are held to raise funds for various charities – including the Community Free Clinic, The Library, Girls Inc., Holly Place and Hagerstown Day Nursery.

In 2010 The Women’s Club’s Foundation, Inc., a nonprofit entity, was established to further the mission supporting women and education. The Foundation supports the cost of maintaining housing facilities offered to low income women and awards educational scholarships.